The University of the West Indies (UWI), at Cave Hill, Barbados

The University of the West Indies

at Cave Hill, Barbados

Footballers Draw with BDF
Sizzla’s Late Equaliser Salvages a Point
The Blackbirds of Football flew into action again on Monday 21st February, 2011 against the Barbados Defense Force (BDF) at the Brereton Playing Field in St. Philip at 8 pm.
Early on in the match, the hard-hitting soldiers took Andre ‘Fur’ Field out of the match with a crunching tackle.The BDF attempted to take advantage of a somewhat displaced UWI team but were denied by Omari Clarke’s acrobatic save off a powerful shot to the upper right corner of the goal post, by Barbados National Striker Mario Harte.
Shortly afterwards, in the 25th minute, the soldiers were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position, 21 yards from the goal. A confident Harte who was previously denied, caught the disorganized Blackbirds’ custodian, and converted his second opportunity of the match to give BDF a 1-0 lead.
The BDF continued to press, but the 2010 Premier league’s top scorer and BFA player of the year, Kyle Gibson, partnering with Harte, could not find a way through the Blackbirds’ defense. Defender Corey Small took charge at the back and prevented the BDF from adding another goal to their tally. Small got to the ball quickly and aggressively. Small teamed up with Fabian Massiah in the centre of the defense, with the hard working Caleb Morgan and Kidwe Sandiford in the wing back positions.
At the end of the first half, the Blackbirds trailed by 1-0, but took the field in the second half, enjoying much of the ball possession and attaching plays.
The blackbirds’ holding midfielder Henderson Forde overworked himself at times being drawn toward the play, as he took on the BDF midfield and won free kicks and corners. Unfortunately, these could not be converted into goals against a BDF team averaging over 6 feet and 180 pounds.
The BDF team had a couple breaks but could not punish the Blackbirds. They were pinned in their own half, as the St. Philip wind made clearances difficult as with the UWI in the first half.
Henderson Forde continued his direct play, taking on the BDF players searching for an equaliser as time expired. He found a roving Fabian Massiah who was fouled on the right flank. The ensuing free kick, definitely the last kick of the game, driven low into the penalty area was well met by Rene ‘Sizzla’ Best who placed it well into the lower left corner, finding the equaliser and salvaging a point for UWI with a hard fought draw.
Quoting coach Ricardo ‘Cracker’ Goddard, “ the true test of whether we have a team is how we play when we go one down” …….the team did not hold down their heads, fought to the end and was rewarded with a goal.
The Football Blackbirds’ now have four (4) points as they go into their next match against Benfica on February 23rd.

- Christian Renwick -