The University of the West Indies (UWI), at Cave Hill, Barbados

The University of the West Indies

at Cave Hill, Barbados


Administrative, Technical & Service Staff – ATS


Q: What are the leave entitlements for ATS staff?
A: Annual Vacation Leave shall be granted on the following basis:
42 Calendar days 35 Calendar days 28 Calendar days 21 Calendar days
Accounting Supervisor Accounts Clerk Grade I Accounts Clerk Grade III/II Artisan
Administrative Assistant  Library Clerk Grade I Library Clerk Grade III/II General Worker
Medical Laboratory Technologist Stenographer/Clerk Grade I Stenographer/Clerk Grade III/II Laboratory Attendant
Senior Laboratory Technician - Graduate or equivalent Medical Laboratory Technician Telephone Operator Junior Laboratory Technician
Accounts Clerk Grade I* Senior Laboratory Technician Binder’s Assistant Office Attendant
Library Clerk Grade I*    Laboratory Technician Office Assistant
Stenographer/Clerk Grade I*   Maintenance Foreman Clinic Assistant
Senior Laboratory Technician*    Principal’s Driver  
Medical Laboratory Technician*   Senior office Assistant Trainee Medical Laboratory Technician
    Security Officer III/II  

NB: Special Conditions apply*

21 Calendar days (28 calendar days for staff with five years' continuous service and over)

Q: How much leave may I accumulate per year?
A: Vacation Leave may be accumulated as follows:
    1. Persons entitled to forty-two (42) and thirty-five (35) days’ vacation leave per year may not be allowed to reserve more than fourteen (14) days in any one year, and may not accumulate more than a total of forty-nine (49) days at any time.

    2. Persons entitled to twenty-eight (28) days’ vacation leave per year, (who are required by law to take twenty-one (21) days’ leave per year), may be allowed to accumulate not more than thirty-five (35) days at any time.

Q: When am I eligible for vacation leave?
A: You are entitled to vacation leave after completing a full year of service.

Q: When am I entitled to compassionate leave?
A: The University grants compassionate leave within its discretion to members of staff on the death of close relatives: parent, children and siblings.
Return to top^

Academic, Senior Administrative and Professional Staff - ASA

Annual Leave

Q: I am a regular full-time member of the academic staff, senior administrative and professional staff. What is my annual leave entitlement?

A: Clinical Staff in the Faculty of Medical Sciences whose duties are continuous throughout the year are eligible for not more than forty-two (42) working days a year;
Senior Administrative Staff and Professional Staff (including temporary staff) who are on continuous duties are eligible for thirty-five (35) days' a year;
All other Academic staff are granted leave of absence. Leave of absence is also granted to employees whose Head of Department has indicated that they will be representing the University of the West Indies during a specific period.

Q: When am I eligible for vacation leave?
A: You are entitled to vacation leave after completing a full year of service.

Q: What other leave options are available to ASA staff?
A: Leave for:
  • Scholarly Activities
  • Sabbatical Leave
  • Fellowship Leave
  • Full Study Leave
  • Assisted Leave
  • No-Pay Leave
NB: Special Conditions apply


Q: When is my incremental date?
A: All members of the Academic, Senior Administrative and Professional Staff have an incremental date of August 1.

Work Permits

Q: Who needs to apply for a Work-Permit?
A: All non-nationals desirous of working with the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus. CARICOM Nationals may apply for Skilled CARICOM National Status through the Barbados Accreditation Council. For further information please click on the link:

Q: How do I apply for a Work-Permit?
A: The University applies for Work-Permits on behalf of their employees.  For more information on immigration or work-permits please click on the below link:

Identification Cards

Q: Where do I get my Staff Identification Card (ID Card)
A: The Human Resources Section issues Staff Identification Cards which must be returned at the end of the contract. This identification card must be in the employee's possession at all times, while on University premises.
A written report must be submitted regarding any loss of or damage to said identification card.