News & Notices
Knowing your Academic Standing
What does "Warning" & "Required to Withdraw" mean on your transcript
If your GPA is less than 2.00 after the examination results in any semester, your academic standing will change to "Warning" on the academic transcript. This status is an indication that your grades are not satisfactory and that your performance in courses needs to improve.

During the next semester if your examination results i.e. grades, have not improved and the GPA is again 2.00 or lower, your status will change to "Required to Withdraw". This standing means that due to poor performance for two consecutive semesters, you are no longer a student of the University. When this occurs, you will not be allowed to register. After a period of one academic year, you may apply to re-enter the University. For further information please read the regulations found in the Faculty Handbook.

What can I do if my academic standing says "Warning"?

If you have performed poorly for a semester and would like to improve your performance in order to maintain a good academic standing there are several steps you can take:
  • Seek academic counseling - Visit the Student Advisory Centre to meet with an academic advisor would be able to assist you in choosing subjects that would complement each other based on your strengths and weaknesses, and also assist you in combining qualitative (reading) courses with quantitative (numbers) courses, to your benefit.
  • Consider reducing the number of courses you are taking - When consulting with your academic advisor, find out if this is a viable option for you.
  • Seek personal counseling - If you are having personal issues which may hamper your concentration on your studies, the Student Services department has counselors available to assist you with managing personal challenges. In addition to counseling services, Student Services offers workshops and online resources to assist students with a variety of issues including time management, stress management, and study tips among others.


Faculty of Social Sciences
Telephone: (246) 417-4265/66/68/69 E-mail: