Fees & Financial Aid
Financial Aid FAQs
Q. I probably do not qualify for aid. Should I apply anyway?
A. Yes. Many students mistakenly think they don't qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by not applying. You should check the GPA and annual household income to ascertain if you are eligible for financial aid or not. In addition, there are several scholarships from which you can also apply for. There is no good excuse for not applying.

Q. Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid?
A. Yes. To receive the financial aid award you must be admitted and registered.

Q. Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?
A. Yes, you must apply for financial aid every year. If your financial circumstances change, your award may get more or less. Renewal of your financial aid also depends on your satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, that is, earning the required GPA.

Q. Can I have more than one scholarship/award, and still be eligible for financial aid?
A. Financial aid covers tuition fees only. You may hold other awards but your financial aid will only cover the amount which your other awards for tuition fees does not cover.

Q. What GPA do I need to remain eligible for aid?
A. An undergraduate student must maintain a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00 for a scholarship and 2.50 for a grant.

Q. What happens if my GPA is below the required average?
A. If you do not meet the GPA requirement, you will remain ineligible for financial aid until you meet the GPA requirement and have reapplied and was successful.

Q. Does financial aid cover housing?
A. No. Financial aid is a waiver of tuition fees only.

Q. What do I have to provide if I am self-employed or unemployed?
A. All self-employed/unemployed/retired persons must provide a letter from a Justice of the Peace or Notary Public indicating such. The letter is accessible on the site when completing the application form and must be submitted along with your application.

Q. Is the criteria the same for new students?
A. Yes, the criteria for new students is the same, as new students would also be assessed based on the GPA score from the high school or community college

Q. When is the deadline for financial aid?
A. The early deadline for application for the Financial Aid is July 31 of the academic year. The late application deadline is on August 31, of the same academic year.

Q. Does financial aid cover research postgraduate courses?
A. No. This award is for undergraduate students only. Please check the Postgraduate site at http://www.cavehill.uwi.edu/gradstudies/scholarships-and-funding.aspx  for information on postgraduate awards.

Q. Does financial aid cover self-financing postgraduate courses?
A. No. It does not.


Do you need further assistance?

Please email financialaid@cavehill.uwi.edu or call:
  • Mrs Roseanne Maxwell – (246)  417-4544
  • Or the Bursary at (246) 417-4110; (246) 417-4099;  ( 246) 417-7577

Monday to Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m