Back to Top
Close Menu

Faculty of Humanities and Education

School of Education


School Counselling

School Counselling.png

About the Programme

Learn the art of School Counselling!

Apply to pursue an exciting Masters of Education degree with a specialisation in School Counselling at the Cave Hill Campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI) in Barbados.

What Will I Study?

You will:

  • Learn core counselling skills
  • Develop theoretical and practical knowledge to inform school counselling practices
  • Learn how to develop and implement proactive and preventative education programmes
  • Learn how to provide services that deal with students’ concerns 
  • Learn to work effectively with teachers and parents


Our faculty conducts research in Psychology and Education. We focus on psychosocial issues with a special interest in adolescents and emerging adults in the Caribbean. 

Career Opportunities

If you want to:

  • Advance your career as a Guidance Counsellor
  • Teach School Counselling
  • Be involved in Entrepreneurial Work
  • Attain an Advanced Degree
  • Become a Community Mental Health Advocate

Then this degree is for you!

At a Glance

  • Degree Level: Postgraduate
  • Qualification: MEd
  • Duration: 2 years : Part-Time


Programme Details

‚ÄčYou will complete courses in:

  • School Counselling: Guidance Programmes and Professional Knowledge
  • Individual and Group Counselling
  • Fundamentals of Practice in Educational and Career Guidance
  • Typical and Atypical Human Development and Learning
  • Research Methods in Education
See Complete Course List »

Tuition remission may be available for Barbadian students. Several scholarships and financial aid are available for non-Barbadian students.  

Choose a payment plan that fits your education budget. View Tuition Costs »

Admission to the Master of Education programme will normally require:

  1. A Bachelor’s degree of at least Lower Second Class Honours and the Diploma in Education of The University of the West Indies or any other diploma or certificate in Education acceptable to the School of Education;
  2. A Bachelor’s degree with courses in Education acceptable to the School of Education; 
  3. A Bachelor’s degree and a Teacher’s College Certificate that are both acceptable to the School of Education;
  4. The Bachelor of Education Degree of the UWI or 
  5. Any qualification deemed to be equivalent by the appropriate committee of the Faculty of Humanities and Education.

If you have questions about the Master of Education with specialisation in School Counselling, please e-mail Professor Donna-Maria Maynard ( or call 246-417-4430.

For general queries about our Master of Education programmes, please e-mail