Caribbean Protected Areas Gateway
Download Flyer here
||The University of the West Indies (UWI)
||Centre for Resource Management and Environmental Studies (CERMES)
A department within the Faculty of Science and Technology at the Cave Hill Campus in Barbados
|Phase 1: November 2014 – January 2017
Phase 2: yet to begin (2017 – 2023)
||Phase 1 of the project was funded by the European Union’s 10th European Development Fund.
Phase 2 will be funded by the 11th European Development Fund
||To provide a hub for protected area research and innovation, where data can be shared and visualized to facilitate a better understanding and to communicate important trends in a highly changing environment.
||To facilitate and promote viable decisions and policies by decision makers and resource managers, for effective and sustainable management of protected areas and biodiversity, by overcoming the challenge of having insufficient robust data on which to make informed policy decisions.
- ecological (biodiversity)
- socioeconomic (livelihoods)
- governance (decision-making)
- capacity building
- Protected area decision & policy makers
- Protected area managers and practitioners
- Protected area users and stakeholders
- Government agencies, NGOs, CBOs
- students, researchers and academic institutions
- regional monitoring initiatives (e.g. GCRMN-Caribbean & SocMon-Caribbean)
- general public
Where we Work
The Caribbean Gateway currently works with and showcases protected area related information for 15 Caribbean ACP countries: