The Office of Student Services hosts a Job Fair each year in March. The event is open to UWI undergraduate and graduate students and recent alumni.
What is it?
When is it?
March 1st, 2017
Where is it ?
The Guild Lawn, UWI Cave Hill Campus
- Expand your knowledge about career options
- Explore different fields and career paths
- Meet and talk to representatives from a wide range of industries
- Gain valuable interview experience and job search advice from seasoned professionals
- Find out about available positions and submit your resume in person to company recruiters
- Develop your network of contacts
- Many companies will also have technical and professional staff members (many of whom may be UWI alums), affording students the opportunity to gain insight into company-related research endeavours.
All UWI undergraduates, graduate students, and recent alumni. Level II and Level III students, are especially encouraged to attend!
Who should attend?
Job Fairs are the best opportunity to make connections with recruiters who make hiring decisions. Many firms have summer internships that are a first step to employment in the firm. This is a unique opportunity for you to talk with recruiters face to face and ask questions about their companies and the positions they have available. Come impress the recruiters with your intelligence, experience and keenness!
If you are interested in careers outside of academia, Job Fairs are a great way at any time in your graduate training to learn more about your options. It is never too early to start networking with employers.
Even if you are not looking for employment at this time, you can still ask recruiters questions about the company, learn tips about their hiring process, find out about their employment opportunities and benefits, and get a sense if such positions are appealing to you.
You have spent many years on your graduate education and the more exploring you do, the easier it will be to find something that suits your skills and interests. You can also use this opportunity to ask about internships.
Pursuing an internship for the summer after you get your degree is an option. Note that you would need to confer with your programme coordinator/ academic advisor to determine if it is possible to take time off during the summer or academic term during your graduate work in order to do this.
How to Get the Most Out of Attending a Job Fair
Job Fairs are a great chance to network with employers and learn about potential jobs and internships. The Office of Student Services coordinates many on-campus recruitment activities during both semester I and semester II. You are encouraged to lookout for other industry specific fairs or showcases that are open to the general public. Industry blogs and websites are two sources of these events.
•Research! Which employers are attending and in what areas?
•Prepare multiple copies of your resume
•Have a well prepared elevator pitch
• Have copies of your resume.
• Have a plan. Determine which employers you want to talk to and prioritise those you are most
•Approach employers with confidence, a smile and make eye contact.
•Ask for a business card and remember to take notes
• Send thank you notes to the recruiters of the companies you were most interested in within a few
• Continue informational interviewing while also checking job and internship listings on
carribbeanjobs.com, company websites and the Office of Student Services.
For additional information contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org or (246) 417-4168.