The University of the West Indies (UWI), at Cave Hill, Barbados

The University of the West Indies

at Cave Hill, Barbados

Principal's Welcome
International / Regional
Next Steps
Student Calendar
IT Services
Course Registration
New Student Survey
Security & ID Cards
Health & Wellness
Campus Life
Getting Around
Student Resources
Student Charter
Finding Help

Financing: Special Notes for Graduate Students
Your offer letter and the financial booklet would have indicated whether your programme is UGC-funded or self-financed.  Use the financial booklet to determine all fees that will apply for Semester 1 and pay these in full ahead of registration week. Note that any additional balances created if you add or drop courses during the period September 1 – 11 or register late must be settled immediately thereafter.

If you need a statement at any time you can request one from the Student Accountant at
All fees are set by University Council and are subject to revision every year. 

Full-time vs Part-time for the postgraduate student
  • Once you are taking the maximum course load you are considered a full-time student even though the courses may be delivered in the evening and on weekends.
  • If you are taking less than a full course load, you are considered a part-time student.
  • If you are a research student and working for more than 12 hours a week you cannot register as a full-time student.
  • If you have a scholarship you must be a full-time student.
  • All regional and international students are expected to register as full-time students.
The deadline for applications for scholarships issued directly by the Campus for the upcoming 2015-2016 academic year has already passed. If you applied for a scholarship correspondence from the School for Graduate Studies and Research on the outcome of your application would be sent to you during early July.

The application date and scholarships available for the 2016-2017 academic year will be posted on the Graduate Studies website in early 2016. 

From time to time the Campus receives scholarship invitations and other opportunities for graduate students from various agencies.  These scholarships and opportunities are all posted on the Graduate Studies website.

You should bookmark the Scholarship page and check occasionally during the semester.

Additional fees for graduate students
These are all listed in the financial information booklet.
Special note to Barbadian Graduate Students
Each Barbadian student who has received sponsorship for the course of their UGC funded Higher Degree programme is advised of this in writing.  Students are advised to pay close attention to the conditions in their letter as extensions to the time period are not automatic and should NOT be assumed.

Effective academic year 2014-2015 sponsorship by the Barbados Government refers to the payment of 80% of the programme fees (called the Economic Cost) every semester for the minimum period of the degree programme plus one additional year where necessary.  Students are required to pay the 20 % balance (called the Tuition Fee) every semester ahead of registration week. 

There is no guarantee of sponsorship.
Special Note to Students from Trinidad and Tobago
The Government of Trinidad and Tobago provides Government Assistance for Tuition Expenses (GATE) to cover tuition costs for undergraduate degree programmes at Cave Hill.  Funds are also provided through the Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP) which covers living and miscellaneous expenses in Barbados.
For further information on GATE or HELP consult

Other notes
  • Students in the Theology programmes must contact Codrington College directly at (246) 423-1141 with regard to financial arrangements.
  • Students in the Master of Business Administration, Doctor of Business Administration and other degrees offered by the Cave Hill School of Business must contact the Cave Hill School of Business directly at (246) 424-7731 to make financial arrangements.

  • The Diploma in Education (Secondary) Programme is funded by the individual governments where programme is offered. Your Teacher’s College will send you the necessary financial information.