In a few cases, maintenance grants are available and these are awarded on the basis of academic merit. Most Universities will permit students to work on campus for a limited number of hours per week.
The following funding opportunities are currently available. Click to read more:
- Masters and PhD Scholarship and Funding Opportunites 2013 - Caribbean and Pacific Island Mobility Scheme
- Barbados International Business Association
- Canadian Scholarships
- Study at the University of Mississippi - Graduate Degree Programme, Internships or Semester Exchange Programme
- Commonwealth Study Abroad Consortium (CUSAC) Bursary scheme
- The Caribbean Integration Program Bursary 2012/2013
Link of Interest
There are five (5) scholarships to be awarded annually and will facilitate students' participation in the UWI International Exchange and Study Abroad Programmes.
These scholarships shall be offered to Barbadian nationals at the Cave Hill Campus of The University of the West Indies, pursuing undergraduate studies in management, finance, economics, law or combinations of these disciplines.
View more details Barbados International Business Association Scholarships
The Caribbean-Pacific Islands Mobility Scheme (CARPIMS) Programme is a cooperation and mobility programme in the area of higher education designed to facilitate the movement of Masters students, Ph.D. students and Staff between the Caribbean and Pacific regions as a means of building capacity and encouraging socioeconomic development in each region.
The focus is on postgraduate education and research as a means of strategic capacity development by making available a wider variety of postgraduate degrees and research opportunities to students from each region and country.
The partner institutions in this mobility scheme are:
The University of the West Indies
- The University of Guyana
- The University of Belize
- The Universite D'Etat D'Haiti
- Instituto Tecnologico de Santo Domingo
University of Papua New Guinea
- Papua New Guinea University of Technology
- The National University of Samoa
- The Universidade da Paz Timor-Leste
- Universidad da Paz Timor-Leste
The competitive scholarships provide Masters and PhD candidates opportunities to pursue qualifications in various fields including Agriculture Sciences; Architecture, Urban and Regional Planning; Art and Design; Business Studies and Management Sciences; Education and Teacher Training; Engineering and Technology; Geography and Geology; Humanities; Languages and Philological Sciences; Law; Mathematics, Informatics, Medical Sciences; Natural Sciences; Social Sciences; Communication and Information Sciences.
The scholarships cover all expenses (tuition, monthly stipend, health insurance, travel, etc.) for full masters programmes (up to 22 months), up to 10 months of Doctoral research (must already be enrolled in a Doctoral programme) and 1 month for staff exchanges.
The extended deadline for applications is March 15, 2013.
Please visit the CARPIMS website for additional information and application procedures www.sta.uwi.edu/carpims
The Government of Canada has announced that applications for the Commonwealth Scholarship Program for eligible students studying in Canada on exchange are now available.
There are two separate scholarship programs:
- CARICOM: http://www.scholarships-bourses.gc.ca/scholarships-bourses/can/institutions/cclsp-pblcc.aspx?lang=eng&view=d
The scholarship value varies depending on the duration and level of study. The scholarship value for students is:
- $7,200 CAN for undergraduate students for a period of four months or one academic term of study or research;$7,200 CAN for graduate students for a period of four months or one academic term of study or research; or
- $9,700 CAN for graduate students for a period of five or six months of study or research.
The University of Mississippi offers Graduate Degree Programmes, Internships and Semester Exchange Programmes.
For details, please visit their Exchange Programme website:
This scheme assists undergraduates to undertake part of their studies in a member university in another Commonwealth country. Bursaries are awarded for travel on the basis of an exchange agreement between two CUSAC member institutions.
The Caribbean Integration Programme was conceived in 2006, with a view to promoting the movement of students across the four campuses of the UWI thereby re-kindling the spirit of regionality that had initially characterized the University in the early days of its existence.
In the academic year 2012/2013 we hope to award ten (10) Bursaries valued US$500.00 each, for students desirous of spending one semeser at a campus other than their home campus.
Recipients of the Bursaries would use the US$5000 to cover expenses associated with airfare, accommodation and upkeep while at their host campus.
The bursary is available to registered full time undergraduate students who:
· have completed at least two (2) semesters of study at their respective campuses;
· are not entering their final semester;
· are not pursuing a degree programme in the following faculties Law, Engineering or Medicine.
The award will be based on:
· good academic achievement (minimum GPA of 3.0) in the previous year's University Examinations;
· verifiable involvement in co-curricular activities;
- · successful applicants are required to keep a journal and submit a report at the end of the experience.
How to Apply
· Complete the application form which is available from the International Office or which can be downloaded from below;
· Applications must be endorsed by your Head of the Department which administers your major;
· Return the completed form to the International Office
Your programme of study must be approved by both the Home and Host Department/Faculty
WIGUT, the UWI academic staff union, has set up a small fund to finance a limited number of Travel Bursaries to assist with the cost of travel from home to the country of choice. Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible. The Travel Bursary is based on academic merit and financial need.
Persons interested in Study Abroad opportunities should contact the International Office at:
Tel #: (246) 417-4972 / (246) 417-4656