Department of Biological and Chemical Sciences
Andromeda Botanical Gardens and the University of the West Indies
Andromeda Botanic Gardens Andromeda Botanical Gardens
is a six acre (2.4 ha) tropical garden in the Parish of St Joseph, overlooking the scenic east coast of Barbados. This botanical garden started as a private plant collection around the home of Ms. Iris Bannochie in 1954 and was later opened to the public during a fund raising event hosted by the Barbados Horticultural Society and Andromeda has remained open to the public by paid admission since then. Iris Bannochie died in 1988 and generously bequeathed Andromeda to the Barbados National Trust to safeguard this treasure for the nation. It is currently managed by Passiflora Inc.
View of Andromeda House from the Gardens
Since 1993, the Department of Biological & Chemical Sciences
of the University of the West Indies (UWI), has assisted Andromeda Botanic Gardens in fulfilling its mission of horticultural research and education. Through the generosity of the Peter Moores Foundation, the UWI provided expertise to Andromeda in a succession of horticulturists;- Dr Richard Iversen, Dr George Rogers, Prof Jeff Atherton and Dr Rajendra Maurya. Currently, Prof Sean Carrington and Mr. Jeff Chandler of the Department of Biological Sciences served as the link between the UWI and Andromeda. In 1997 the UWI established a small reference collection of horticultural books at Andromeda, the Iris Bannochie Library.
For more information on the Garden visit the official Andromeda Botanic Gardens
website or telephone the gardens at 433 9384 or 433 9454.
Further information about Andromeda Botanic Gardens and its links to the University of the West Indies can also be obtained by emailing any of the persons listed below.